Thursday, January 23, 2014
A Message from Dean Brown
By Doug Brown, Dean of the Anderson School
Anderson students are prize winners! Nearly every contest they have entered, they have distinguished themselves. Just in the last two years, the following awards have been won:
• The grand prize in the 2012 NASBA Center for the Public Trust, National Ethics in Action Video competition. The winning video was produced by Drew Wayner and Dezlyn Chacon, two graduate students in O.C. Ferrell's Marketing and Society course. The video is entitled "The Case of the Questionable Reference." This project supports the work of the Daniels Fund Ethics Initiative at UNM.
• Marketing students at the UNM Anderson School of Management took top honors in the 2013 American Petroleum Institute Adventures in Energy Case Competition. UNM emerged the winner after topping the University of Findlay and Florida Institute of Technology, the other two top teams who qualified to travel to San Francisco for the finals.
• The UNM Information Assurance team ranked in the top 15% at the Cyber Security Awareness Week – Capture the Flag Competition hosted by New York University. The 72 hour competition is designed for undergraduate students who want to learn more about computer security by participating in exercises that require them to react to cyber-attacks found in the real world.
Participating in these contests provide valuable experience in the subject matter, in working together as a team, and in honing presentational skills.
We also owe a debt of gratitude to our faculty advisors who dedicate so much time and experience to guide our students. And the faculty have won their own share of prizes, including:
• The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE), the world's largest anti-fraud organization, has named UNM Anderson Accounting Professor Rich Brody Educator of the Year. The prestigious ACFE Outstanding Achievement Awards recognize the contributions of anti-fraud professionals worldwide. The Educator of the Year Award is presented to an ACFE Educator member who has made an outstanding contribution in anti-fraud education.
• Dr. Joni Young has received the Outstanding Accounting Educator award from the New Mexico Society of Certified Public Accountants (NMSCPA). This is the second time in four years that Dr. Young has received the honor from the NMSCPA for her outstanding accomplishments in the classroom that enhance the reputation of the CPA profession. She also received the award in 2008.
• Anderson's John Benavidez received the Faculty Teaching Award. John has been teaching at UNM since 1997 upon graduating with his M.B.A. from Anderson. His teaching focuses on marketing including, but not limited to, advertising, digital marketing, promotions management, and marketing management. Benavidez constantly seeks to support students at UNM, serving as faculty advisor for Collegiate DECA and is a faculty representative on the Student Union Building Board.
• Professor O.C. Ferrell will receive the Academy of Marketing Science, Marketing Educator Award at the AMS annual conference in Indianapolis in May 2014. This is the highest ranking award for marketing education in the Academy of Marketing Science, the largest marketing educator-only group in the world.
• Dr. Kathryn Jacobson’s paper entitled Socio-emotional wealth and business risks in family controlled firms: Evidence from Spanish olive oil mills (published in 2007) has won the Administrative Science Quarterly Scholarly Impact Award. ASQ is one of the top scholarly journals in the field of management. The award was created to recognize the article published 5 years previously in ASQ that was judged to have had the greatest scholarly impact. A committee of board members carefully considered a slate of finalists among articles published in 2007 in ASQ, and Kathryn's article with Gomez-Mejia, Haynes, Nunez-Nickel, and Moyano-Fuentes was their unanimous choice.
• Dr. Hsuan-Chi Chen was nominated by UNM Office of Support for Effective Teaching for both the 2012-2013 Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award and the 2013-2015 Presidential Teaching Fellow Award.
• Professor Linda Ferrell will become President of the Academy of Marketing Science at the Academy of Marketing Science annual conference in May 2014.
Congratulations to all!